The National Identity Policy provides guidelines to ensure that DEWA is fully committed to National Identity principles and foundations, and achieve the National Identity strategic objectives. This policy is based on the ‘Most Committed Government Agency to the National Identity’ criteria issued by the Dubai Government Excellence Programme
The National Identity Committee is the sole owner of this policy and is responsible for communicating and promoting it to all respective divisions and departments through procedures, and formal and informal channels.
The Policy includes the following elements
1. Use Arabic as the main language for internal and external communications
2. Highlight National identity elements at all DEWA’s events, exhibitions, and special activities as well as advertisements, gifts, and hospitality in line with the corporate identity guidelines
3. Use Arabic as the main language in work processes, and corporate reports issued by DEWA
4. Provide all services to stakeholders in Arabic
5. Priority to using Arabic names for DEWA’s initiatives and programmer
6. All DEWA staff to wear professional attire during working hours. UAE National employees to wear National dress when participating in local and external activities
7. DEWA buildings to highlight National Identity elements
8. Priority to using Arabic in the media for press releases, articles, reports, interviews, and advertisements as well as social media posts
9. Develop awareness and training programmers for staff to improve their knowledge of Arabic
10. Ensure the UAE flag is properly displayed at all DEWA buildings and during events
11. Plan, implement, review, and improve social programmes that serve the National identity elements
12. Plan, implement, review, and improve a comprehensive Emiratisation plan to attract, employ, and retain UAE citizens and develop their skills
National Identity at the UAE level
Guided by the words of His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE, "He who has no identity, does not exist in the present and has no place in the future," the UAE Government places enhancing the National Identity as a prime target in its current and future strategy and plans. National identity is an issue of belonging and allegiance that concerns both citizens and residents of the UAE. The Ministry of Culture, Youth and Community Development defines National Identity as social and moral values associated with the lifestyle of the people in the past, present and future. Developing National identity is a commitment to the cultural values, customs, traditions, language, dialect, and faith of the nation. Promoting and enshrining these elements is a national duty incumbent upon the community, individuals, government and organisations.
National Identity in Dubai
HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, said on the 44th UAE National Day, “External challenges received due attention from our government and people, but this was not at the expense of our attention to our internal affairs. Rather, they induced further work and achievements in all domains of national work. Your government has bolstered its approach to strategic planning, launch of projects and new initiatives, as well as to adopting the best practices in government work, execution of plans, innovating initiatives for empowerment, excellence and development.” The Dubai Executive Council’s Social Development Committee has implemented the National Federal Identity policy to protect and enhance the National Identity and social cohesion through a comprehensive cultural content that focuses on Arabic language as a main feature of culture and history. The National identity policy has specified its core elements and has established alternatives to promote national identity within the national context. Accordingly, Dubai government organisations and departments have launched several initiatives to implement this policy through its basic components including language, religion, values and history.
National Identity is a solid value in DEWA
To promote the essence of the UAE National Identity within Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) and ensure the preservation and adoption of its core elements, DEWA has formed the National Identity Committee. Its goal is to enhance a sense of loyalty and belonging to the UAE. This is one of the key prerequisites for a unified society that has a consolidated identity based on a common religion, language, heritage, culture, and civilisation. DEWA has launched a comprehensive programme with various activities for different stakeholders internally and externally to promote a sense of belonging and loyalty to the country including cultural and entraining activities.
|National Environment Day
|The anniversary of HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum accession day
|World Cultural Diversity
|World Heritage day
|World Poetry Day
|Hag Al Laila
|Zayed Humanitarian day
|DEWA Annual Gala Dinner
|My Culture My Identity campaign
|DEWA Annual Suhoor Gathering
|World day of Arabic language