Leaks can cause significant wastage and damage to properties. Check for any potential leaks in your bathrooms, kitchen, reservoirs, and swimming pools. Always detect for any possible water leakage periodically to conserve our natural resources. You can also follow these tips to rationalise water consumption at home:
- New toilet models use up to 6 litres of water per flush, which saves about 6 litres per flush compared to the older models, resulting in an annual water saving of around 10,000 litres per person.
- Check toilets periodically for leaks and repair them promptly.
- Water your plants before 8 am or after 6 pm to reduce evaporative losses.
- Use Treated Sewage Effluent (TSE) from Dubai Municipality (if available) to irrigate green spaces when possible.
- Check sprinkler system valves periodically for leaks and keep the heads in good condition.
- Adjust the timer on automatic sprinklers according to seasonal water demands and weather conditions.
- Install a rain shutoff device on automatic sprinklers to eliminate unneeded applications.
- Place your sprinkler, so it only waters the lawn, not the pavement. Avoid sprinklers that spray a fine mist, which increases evaporation.