The largest single-site solar park in the world using the Independent Power Producer (IPP) model with a planned capacity of 5,000 MW by 2030 and investments up to AED 50 billion. On completion, the solar park will reduce some 6.5 million tonnes of carbon emissions a year.
The Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park supports the Dubai Clean Energy Strategy 2050 and the Dubai Net Zero Emissions Strategy 2050 to provide 100% of its energy production capacity from clean energy sources by 2050
Phases of energy production
- The 13MW 1st phase uses photovoltaic solar panels and became operational in October 2013.
- The 200MW 2nd Phase uses photovoltaic solar panels and became operational in March 2017.
- The 800MW 3rd phase uses photovoltaic solar panels and became fully operational in November 2020.
- The 950MW 4th phase combines 700MW from Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) and 250MW using photovoltaic solar panels. It will be implemented in stages.
- The 900MW 5th phase uses photovoltaic solar panels. The 300MW first stage became operational in August 2021