This service enables the customer to refund the outstanding amount with DEWA through different channels.
Service Category & Type
Electricity/ Water Supply Customers (Consumers)
* Please ensure contact information (Email ID & Mobile number) is updated and accessible to proceed with this service request. To update your contact information please visit 'Request for Information Update'
If Western Union, Cheque or Transfer to Another Active Account is chosen
If IBAN is chosen
1. Through which channels can I apply for the refund service?You can apply for the refund services through below channels:
2. What is the limit of refund amount for refund channels?
Below is the limit of refund amount:
3. How can I request my refund through Western Union?
You can select Western Union option by logging into your account on DEWA’s website or smart app
4. What is the benefit of selecting Western Union refund option?
By selecting Western Union, you will be able to get your refund in any part of the world, based on the selection made at the time of request.
5. What are the charges for “refund thorough Western Union?”
USD 5 or 1% of refund amount whichever is higher
6. What exchange rate would be applied?
Western Union exchange rate will be applied for each transaction
7. What is MTCN number?
The Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN) is a unique 10 digit tracking number, assigned to each refund transaction. You would need this MTCN to collect your refund amount at Western Union.
8. How will I get my MTCN number?
Once your refund request is processed, you will be able to access MTCN by logging in to your account though your valid user ID and password
9. How long will this MTCN number be valid?
MTCN once generated, will be valid for 30 days. This means you need to collect your refund amount within 30 days.
10. Who is the receiver of the refund?
Refund needs to be collected by legitimate/authorized customer
11. Why is there a secret code/question?
The secret code is applicable only in case of refunds to be collected in South Africa.
12. What are the payout requirements I should provide to collect the transaction?
• Valid ID (customer name should match as per DEWA system and ID).
• Sender’s full name (in this case it is DEWA)
• Mention to Western Union the approximate amount 10% less or more.
• Transaction originating country (State/City for USA/Mexico)
• MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number)
• Answer to the Test Question/ Secret code (when it is applicable-South Africa transactions)
13. How much is the minimum and maximum amount to be refunded per transaction?
Minimum amount is any remaining amount can be refunded after deduction of Western union charges (USD 5 at rate of 3.673) and Maximum amount is USD 5000
14. Once I select the city and country, can I collect the amount from a different city in the same country?
• Yes, you can collect the amount from a different city in the same country except for USA and Mexico in which state and city is required to be specified and collected from the same city and state.
• For USA and Mexico, to make any changes, the transaction has to be cancelled and re-issued with the new
Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) is committed to protecting the rights of the users of its website, and keeping data and information secure. We have created this privacy and security statement to explain the current information management practices on our websites.
Information Collection and Usage:
DEWA does not collect any personal information about you when you visit its website, unless specified, or you choose to provide this information to us. However, upon your visit, the following information is automatically collected and stored:
We may use third party tools or software for conducting statistical analysis. However, only certain pieces of aggregated, non-personal information, such as the number of users who accessed our website or most visited pages, are collected. Such information does not identify you individually.
DEWA keeps all collected information confidential except where disclosure is enforced or required by law, or as part of requirement to protect the rights or properties of DEWA.
Security of Transactions:
Please be assured that this site has security measures in place to protect the information you provide us. We use encryption methods to protect all information, which is deemed to be sensitive, or any other data that should remain secure to meet DEWA’s, federal, or local legal requirements.
Links to third-party websites:
DEWA's website may provide links to other web sites. However we are not responsible for the accuracy of the contents of these sites or their mechanisms for information collection and usage.
If you doubt that your privacy is being compromised, follow these steps immdediately:
What are Cookies?
DEWA is committed to the protection of its customers’ private information and does not track individual users or their identity. DEWA only accesses the system information of the device, the website is being viewed on, to gain useful knowledge about how it is used. The collected information is used solely for statistical and monitoring purposes to help DEWA improve the user experience of the services and to identify the performance of DEWA’s services.
3rd Party Cookies:
DEWA also uses 3rd party tools or software, such as Google Analytics, to track web statistics. In this case, Google will place a 3rd party cookie on your computer. This is also the case with Google Maps across the site.
DEWA is not responsible for any technical, hardware or software failures of any kind; lost or unavailable network connections; incomplete, garbled or delayed transmissions. It assumes no liability for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, consequential or psychological damages as a result of visiting or using its Website or loss of services, income or welfare resulting from any virus that may infect computer equipment used to access its sites. Under no circumstances will DEWA be liable for any damages or injury that result from the use of the materials on this site and the user shall indemnify DEWA from and against all liabilities resulting from the user's failure to observe these terms and conditions. DEWA does not warrant that information currently accessible is up-to-date.