Air conditioning represents 60% of the load on electrical peak times during summer. You can implement the following measures to reduce your AC electricity consumption:
- Set your AC to 24 C, which is the optimal temperature for the body
- Purchase energy-efficient AC units. Look for units with an energy-star label: a five-star rating implies higher efficiency
- Use a programmable thermostat that enables you to schedule and set desired temperatures at certain times of the day
- Use your AC only when and where needed. Turn AC units off in unoccupied rooms and when you are not at home
- Ensure regular maintenance of your AC units including cleaning or replacing filters
- Over time, the air filters on ACs collect dust and eventually restrict airflow; thus, it is necessary to clean or replace filters periodically for optimal efficiency
- Set reminders to clean or replace AC filters.
- Air filters trap particles, dust, and debris and purify the air entering a building.
Cleaning air filters can save up to 10%